The United Nations system in Indonesia works as a team to develop the best strategy to respond to national needs and plans, building on agency asset. To support its operations, UN Indonesia is opening vacancies for roster of qualified personnel to be based not only in Jakarta but also in other areas as required. Candidates will be assessed by UN Human Resources team for particular type/level of function.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the DRR/Operations Manager, the Administrative Associate provides the overall administration and execution of varied and inter-related operational and logistical activities in large offices, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
The functions/duties/ key results of this job description are generic and not all duties are carried out by all Administrative Assistants.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions :
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Provision of effective and efficient administrative support services
- Support to supply and assets management
- Effective administrative and financial control in the office
- Proper common services
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Support to the CO administrative business processes mapping and elaboration of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with office management.
2. Ensures effective and efficient provision of administrative support services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordination and supervision of support staff engaged in the fields of registry, general services, telephone operator/receptionist, etc.
- Coordination and supervision of shipments and customs clearance, travel, events management, administrative surveys, transportation services and insurance, space management, procurement of supplies.
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources for administrative services
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authorities, on space and other administrative matters.
- Submission of information on administrative services provided for cost-recovery bills
3. Provides support to proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Coordination of assets management in the CO, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports, coordination of physical verification of inventory items.
- Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies
4. Ensures effective administrative and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the control mechanism for administrative services, maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Review, research, verification and reconciliation of a variety of data and reports ensuring accuracy and conformance with administrative rules and regulations; creation of vendor set-up information in Atlas;
- Review of data integrity in the database, control programme; analysis of results and initiation of corrective actions when necessary.
- Proper inventory control; supervision of proper issuance of inventory items and supplies.
- Review of travel authorizations, documentation, payments
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, audit and other reports.
- Provision of researched information, reports for audit exercises.
5. Ensures proper common services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of common services to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
- Proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies contributions to the common services account.
6. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Briefing to staff members on general administrative matters; provision of advice and administrative support.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country, facilitates subsequent action by a supervisor. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. Certification in Administration. University Degree in Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station
Applicant must complete P11 form and submit as part of their application. Click here to download the form - http://bit.ly/P11system
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP Indonesia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Indonesia at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements