The United Nations system in Indonesia works as a team to develop the best strategy to respond to national needs and plans, building on agency asset. To support its operations, UN Indonesia is opening vacancies for roster of qualified personnel to be based not only in Jakarta but also in other areas as required. Candidates will be assessed by UN Human Resources team for particular type/level of function.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Communications Specialist, the Communications Analyst in a large Country Office* participates in the implementation of the corporate communications strategy, as well as in the design, management and implementation of the Country Office communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
The Communications Analyst maintains a working relationship with the Regional Communications Manager. The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Business Development, Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
A communications strategy tightly linked to program priorities helps position the Country Office in key development markets as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
* The nature of work at ICS 8 level is specific. This is an entry professional level. The incumbent (who has corresponding educational background, but no experience in the field) is expected to apply theoretical conceptual models, make rudimentary analysis of project parameters in support of greater programme development activities. Team environment provides rich learning opportunities, facilitates rapid professional development. The duties performed as well as external contacts are rather limited. The incumbent grows professionally to be able to embrace responsibilities at higher levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach
- Implementation of the publications strategy and plan
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system
- Support to business development
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Provides support to the planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conduct of communications needs assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc)
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals for elaboration of the CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy.
- Development/production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor.
- Synthesis of proposals for project formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programme.
2. Ensures the implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Effective implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan.
- Management of some CO publication activities, such as drafting articles, content management, norms for publishing, design, maintenance of regular contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production and publications dissemination.
3. Provides support to the maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff.
- Preparation of the content for the web sites to ensure consistency of the materials.
4. Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
Launches and campaigns
- Promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report.
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on UNDP activities, results of MDGs, UN Reform, under the supervision of Communications Specialist.
- Preparation and dissemination of newsletter to donors, donor reports, civic education and community awareness, where appropriate, to support projects
- Timely and effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Provision of trainings, UNDP staff on communications for development
- Professional growth through active learning.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on creation of effective communications and dissemination of information on UNDP as UN’s global development network. In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP communications and publication strategies.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate
Research and data analysis
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Research and analysis
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in media relations, journalism, publishing
- Up to 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station
Applicant must complete P11 form and submit as part of their application. Click here to download the form - http://bit.ly/P11system
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP Indonesia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Indonesia at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements