The United Nations system in Indonesia works as a team to develop the best strategy to respond to national needs and plans, building on agency asset. To support its operations, UN Indonesia is opening vacancies for roster of qualified personnel to be based not only in Jakarta but also in other areas as required. Candidates will be assessed by UN Human Resources team for particular type/level of function.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of DRR/DCD/OM or Finance Specialist, the Finance Analyst is responsible for effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Finance Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex financial issues. The Finance Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the Country Office (CO) and with UNDP HQs staff and Government officials ensuring successful Country Office (CO) performance in Finance.
* The nature of work at ICS 8 level is specific. This is an entry professional level. The incumbent (who has corresponding educational background, but no experience in the field) is expected to apply theoretical conceptual models, make rudimentary analysis of project parameters in support of greater programme development activities. Team environment provides rich learning opportunities, facilitates rapid professional development. The duties performed as well as external contacts are rather limited. The incumbent grows professionally to be able to embrace responsibilities at higher levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Projects’ budget management
- CO cash management
- Control of CO accounts
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing;
1. Ensures implementation of operational and financial management strategies, and adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance under the supervision of the Finance Specialist
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects, monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions.
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals on cost saving and reduction strategies.
2. Ensures the management of projects’ budgets and organization and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration of proposals for planning of financial resources of the CO, preparation of reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets; regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation.
- Establishment of projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL) and budgets delivery levels.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus ASL, follow up with HQs on ASL forprojects, maintenance of the General Ledger.
3. Ensures proper control of CO accounts focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals for the internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; MPOs, travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed, and receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals are properly done in compliance with IPSAS and UNDP policies and procedures.
- Control of accounts closure
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and maintenance of the General Ledger.
4. Ensures proper CO cash management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals, selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlement.
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by the supervisor.
- Acts as cashier for onsite transactions.
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO and guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization/conduct of training for the operations/ programme/projects staff on financial management.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in financial resources management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented financial information, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and enhance UNDP credibility in use of financial resources.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets; manage contributions and investments; manage transactions; and conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery.
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Basic research and analysis
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
- Make recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance/Accounting, Business or Public Administration, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy. Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- UNDP Advanced Accountancy and Finance test required.
- Up to 2 years of relevant experience in providing financial management services, managing staff and operational systems. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Fluency in the UN working language and the national language of the duty station.
Applicant must complete P11 form and submit as part of their application. Click here to download the form - http://bit.ly/P11system
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP Indonesia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Indonesia at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements